Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Market adjustment

So usually I don't directly comment or respond to news articles I read. I think this article dances around the obvious factor Laptops are outpacing Desktops and Netbooks coming into their own. I think it has to do with the price and availability of broadband connectivity, more specifically wireless connectivity. I think this entire shift is driven by the resource, not the other way around. Starbucks had wireless in its locations before most, and since they did Laptop users flocked to them. I suspect this is the reason for the large smug clouds around Starbucks. Now that entire cities are either going wireless, or at the very least flirting with the idea, there is a REASON to carry around an extra 3 to 12lbs of shit with you everywhere. Sure the cost of laptops has dipped to fit nearly every budget, even mine. But I dont think that was a solid factor until there was something to do. And honestly I think thats where the rubber meets the road. That and asking computer salesmen in Taipei and "analysts" is just a shithouse way to operate. Salesmen sell things with high profit margins, and in a extremely crowded, completely connected city of course a laptop is more popular. And honestly most market analysts cant find their asses with both hands.

I do agree gamers and savvy users choose to build their own desktop rather than buy a brand for home use. But I also think too many businesses are getting swept up and buy laptops when desktops are a better choice. Portability is only useful when you need it, otherwise its a liability.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE50601320090107